Thursday, April 21, 2011

Be Creative But not too creative

Whats hanan peeps... I been producing professionally now for about 9 years, and one thing I noticed when trying to sell beats to an Artist is creativity is good but to much creativity is not so good... As producers were driven to the big sounds and tryna be different and innovative with our beats. But what about the artist... Artist are creative and innovative to and if u do not leave any room for there creativity on your track then u basically just made a instrumental piece... Always remember the beat and the vocals are a marriage which means 50/50 now granted sometimes the beat can carry the artist 60/40 or the artist could carry the beat 60/40 but never anymore than that... So to my up and coming producers make sure you leave room for the artist to be creative on your track... Stay Thirsty my friends.... Beat God...

2 comments:

  1. I concur. The greatest musical advice i have ever recieved was from micheal jackson. He said that too many times artists tend to get in the way of the music and tell it what to do, when if they listen hard and true enough, the music will tell them where to go in terms of song idea and theme, sometimes even verses and choruses. I've always agreed with that and the fact that the music and the artist should read each other and try to reach a great song. good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I've been guilty of not leaving artists enough room to work. A lot of things do end up being instrumental pieces when it's too much going on. I've found that sometimes that one extra instrument that I add trying to be creative should have been a vocal track. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete